Thursday, July 4, 2013

The Pit of Despair

Well guys, today was the day. The day you've all been waiting for. Yes, that's right...I was thrown in the pit today.  As funny as it sounds that I finally made it to the long awaited pit digging portion of my trip, it was actually so much fun today.  I got to the site and started digging with my friend Nicole on the "evil lump" of dirt that we had been working on yesterday. Not long after we began, however, I was reassigned to the pit, and it was perfect:

Journal Excerpt: "I looked down at the new area I'd be working, and my assigned pit partner looked at me and said, 'Welcome to the Pit of Despair.' It was at this moment that I knew I was exactly where I needed to be. There were clearly my people."

My day at the dig was basically perfect at this point...I had been placed in the pit to dig, a Princess Bride reference had been made...it was truly a brilliant day. We worked and it didn't take long before I convinced my pit partner that I am, in fact, a serial killer, and completely capable of making him mysteriously disappear...Like I said, it was a very pleasant day.

We continued in the Princess Bride vernacular, referring to the sides of the pit as the Cliffs of Insanity and the red dirt area as the Fire Swamp. Once we realized that there were 7 of us working in the pit, we all also began referring to ourselves as dwarves. We found some things, but not much to talk about. Mostly, I just moved a lot of rocks and dirt out of a giant hole in the ground. Magnificent! Seriously, people devote their lives to this. It's kind of marvelously mundane, but at the end of the day, the contribution to the whole is pretty cool.

So that's about it for today, except that there is a blog for the Binchester site itself and I found a picture of myself on it today, so that was nifty! Check it out if you want to see me hard at work or learn more about the dig: http://binchester.blogspot.co.uk/

Oh yeah, in other news, I got the chance to hear a British man say "namby pamby" today....so, yeah...life complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment